The results of the World's 50 Best Restaurants, sponsored by San Pellegrino & Acqua Panna, are in and the annual award ceremony held in London on 1 June saw a return to the top for the contemporary family-run Catalan restaurant El Celler de Can Roca, in Girona. Previously number one in 2013, the Spanish restaurant dropped into second spot in 2014 before bouncing back in this year's list to leap-frog last year's winner, Noma, Copenhagen.
France was a noticeable absentee in the top ten, with it's first representative, Mirazur, sitting in 11th spot, while South America had two venues within the top ten, with Central, Lima, taking fourth, and D.O.M., São Paulo, in ninth. The full list can be seen below.
Looking at the international spread of restaurants making the top 50, Latin America came out on top with nine restaurants, seven from the USA, seven from Spain, and the same amount from Asia, with two making the list for the first time. Five French restaurants made the cut, while there were just the two from the UK.
A hat-trick for #Mexico, #Italy and #Peru: All three countries have three restaurants each in the #Worlds50Best 2015 list.
— The World's 50 Best (@TheWorlds50Best) June 2, 2015
1. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
2. Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy
3. Noma, Copenhagen, Denmark
4. Central, Lima, Peru
5. Eleven Madison Park, New York, USA
6. Mugaritz, San Sebastián, Spain
7. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London, UK
8. Narisawa, Tokyo, Japan
9. D.O.M., São Paulo, Brazil
10. Gaggan, Bangkok, Thailand
11. Mirazur, Menton, France
12. L'Arpège, Paris, France
13. Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo, Spain
14. Astrid y Gastón, Lima, Peru
15. Steirereck, Vienna, Austria
16. Pujol, Mexico City, Mexico
17. Arzak, San Sebastián, Spain
18. Le Bernardin, New York, USA
19. Azurmendi, Larrabetzu, Spain
20. The Ledbury, London, UK
Other awards went to Sepia, Sydney, as this year's One To Watch, while Narisawa, Japan, scooped the Acqua Panna Best Restaurant in Asia. Find out more about all the awards and winners here.