Tesco has partnered with pioneering chef, Derek Sarno, to create 'Wicked Kitchen' – a new range of irresistible meals that celebrate everything that's 'wicked' and tasty about plants.
Recently demand for vegetarian and vegan food has soared as a result of lifestyle choices such as Meat Free Mondays and flexitarian diets. In the last year alone, Tesco has directly seen the effect of those lifestyle choices with demand for chilled vegetarian ready meals and meat substitutes soaring by 25 per cent.
From crispy carrot 'pastrami' to wicked-meaty barbecued 'shrooms and Sourdough Pizza, the vibrant wraps, meals and salads have all the zing, punch and crunch to encourage Brits to eat more veg – and they're available at a great price too.
Chef Derek Sarno, formerly the Senior Global Executive Chef for Whole Foods Market, said: " When I first arrived in Britain from America I was hugely surprised at how little choice there was for vegans and those considering a lifestyle change. For too long, vegans have been overlooked, with many offerings that are available seemingly created to appease rather than truly please. Wicked Kitchen plans to change all that and I'm proud to work with Tesco and offer all its customers delicious meals to get them on board with this growing foodie revolution."
Prepared exclusively for Tesco, the new range will launch on 8 January in 600 stores nationwide. The exclusive range includes 20 ready meals and food to go options, perfect for lunch or dinner.
The range includes, amongst others:
- Carrot Pastrami-Spiced Wrap: Beetroot tortilla wrap power-packed with crisp, punchy carrot and a vibrant vegetable mix.
- Sweet Potato Pakora Wrap: Sweet potato pakora, fire-roasted red pepper, crispy carrot and creamy Sriracha vegan mayonnaise in a tortilla wrap.
- Smashin' Pumpkin Falafel Sandwich: Not your ordinary pumpkin falafel – dressed with punchy vegan harissa mayonnaise, crunchy vegetables and roasted red pepper hummus on tomato bread.
- Rainbow Curry Salad Bowl: Wicked colourful curried pulses with fiery sweet potato, onion bhajis, fragrant mango and a cool minty dressing. This one's gluten free.
- Moroccan-Inspired Salad Bowl: Turmeric bulgur wheat salad, spiced beetroot, tangy pickled red cabbage and roasted red pepper hummus.
- Wicked Teriyaki Noodles: Teriyaki-style noodles with press-roasted cluster mushrooms, sweet 'n' savoury glaze, Asian-style vegetables and tangy lime to finish.
- Naked Burrito: Pulled king Eryngii mushrooms roasted in a blend of Mexican inspired spices and jalapeños.
- Caponata Sourdough Pizza: Wood-fired sourdough, aubergine and caper caponata and a pop of zingy salsa verde.
- BBQ Mushroom Sourdough Pizza: Pulled king oyster mushrooms and spice on wood-fired hand-stretched sourdough.
As a third of the UK population now identifies themselves as "flexitarian", the number of those cutting back on animal products and following a plant-based diet is set to increase by 10 per cent this year*.
Find out more about the range and the Wicked Healthy brand here.