Turning food into a force to fight AIDS, EAT (RED) SAVE LIVES 2018 has returned. Now in its fifth year, (RED)'s annual culinary campaign features an exciting line-up of chefs, food and drink activations, dining experiences, and products to #86AIDS by raising money and awareness for the Global Fund to fight AIDS.
This year's roster of participating chefs includes Michelin-starred chef Dominique Crenn, Nancy Silverton, Angie Mar, Nina Compton, Stephanie Izard and more, as well as business owners like Jeni Britton Bauer of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams and Ellen Bennett of Hedley & Bennett, among others. Speaking to her involvement in the campaign, chef Elizabeth Falkner said; "To '86' something in the restaurant world means, 'We're done. We don't have any more of that.' And that's what we want to do with AIDS. We need to 86 AIDS."
Supported by leading chefs and culinary figures, here's the scoop on where to eat, drink, and shop (RED) during June, including one-of-a-kind pop up events from PlaceInvaders, an exclusive collection from Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream, and limited-edition aprons made by Hedley & Bennett.
Top highlights include:
- Delicious (RED) menu items or cocktails will be on offer at more restaurants nationwide in America, including: The Beatrice Inn (chef Angie Mar), Yves (chef Alex Baker), Cala, Contramar & Entremar (chef Gabriela Camara), Atelier Crenn & Bar Crenn (chef Dominique Crenn), n/naka (Niki Nakayama), Thaimee Table (chef Hong Thaimee), Benoit (chef Laetitia Rouabah), Smoked & Stacked (chef Marjorie Meek-Bradley), Pizzeria Mozza & Osteria Mozza (chef Nancy Silverton), Compere Lapin (chef Nina Compton), Jon & Vinny's (Wine Director Helen Johannesen), plus Girl & The Goat and Little Goat (chef Stephanie Izard), among others.
- Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams will offer a special (RED) Collection for the month of June. Featuring five lovingly made flavours - Coffee with Cream & Sugar, Goat Cheese with Red Cherries, Ricotta Toast with Red Berry Geranium Jam, Ndali Estate Vanilla and dairy-free Dark Chocolate Truffle - delivered straight to your doorstep, each purchase generates $6 to fight AIDS.
- In support of (RED)'s fight to end mother-to-child transmission of HIV, Hedley & Bennett – the LA-based apron & female-founded workwear company that outfits top chefs from Nancy Silverton to Stephanie Izard – has partnered with (RED) to create a matching adult and child apron set. The limited-edition aprons are made with a red denim styled off of H&B's popular Cone Collection line with beautiful cream ties. The adult (RED) apron is available at HedleyandBennett.com for $98 and the matching kid's apron is available for $48. 25% of the purchase of a (RED) apron goes directly to fight AIDS.
- Luxury chocolate maker Vosges will donate $1 from every purchase of delicious treats on vosgeschocolate.comduring June.
- Blaze Fast Fire'd Pizza is bringing back the (RED) VINE Pizza at more than 260 of its locations across the U.S. In collaboration with Coca-Cola, Blaze will donate $1 for every order of a (RED) Vine pizza and Coke, up to $50,000. In addition, for every guest who posts a picture of their pizza and Coke using the hashtag #CokeRedSweepstakes and tags @BlazePizza, Blaze will donate an additional $1, up to $10,000.
- As part of (RED)'s collaboration with Broadway hit Angels in America, theatre-goers visiting The Modern and Quality Meats in New York City will be able to order (RED) menu items that will benefit the fight against AIDS.
- New York-based Dana's Bakery will offer a special (RED) box of 12 delicious macarons: 6 red velvet and 6 red chocolate. Founded by Dana Pollack, these artisanal French-style macarons have an American twist – they are gluten-free plus ship nationwide. For every (RED) box ordered during June, Dana's Bakery will donate $5.
- Chicago-based Boka Restaurant Group is turning 14 of its restaurants (RED) from June 8–30. At Momotaro, Izakaya at Momotaro, The J. Parker, Duck Duck Goat, Girl & the Goat, BOKA, GT Fish & Oyster, Swift & Sons, GT Prime, Bellemore, The Kennison, Little Goat, Somerset and Devereaux, $1 from every (RED) menu item ordered will fight AIDS.
- Something to taco 'bout! Mexico City's hottest taqueria chain, El Califa, has joined the EAT (RED) campaign for the first time. For every order of their iconic Tacos al Pastor across their 11 locations in Mexico, El Califa will make a donation to fight AIDS with (RED).
- In Accra, Ghana, lifestyle group YOLO Experiences will donate 5% of every (RED) menu item sold at their participating restaurants and nightclubs Coco Lounge, Urban Grill, Santoku and Carbon. Additionally, YOLO will host four special (RED) events ranging from live music to a family event, of which 5% of the sales will go to fight AIDS.
Find out more about the (RED) campaign on its website.